Protecting your own privacy and preventing identity theft are extremely important online and, when using a social networking site you can set your own profile to a private mode and be more secure.
Only certain friends that you have approved will then be able to see your personal account information.
Sometimes you will get a few friend requests that have no mutual friends connected - so to avoid this hassle and to make the process easy, you can follow these simple steps:
- Log onto your own Facebook account by typing in facebook.com.
- Click on "Account” - which is near the right upper corner of the profile page, then click on "Privacy Settings”.
- Select "Recommended”, "Friends Only” or "Friends of Friends”. Then review these settings just to make sure that you approve, then click on "Apply These Settings”. As an example, if the "Friends Only” setting is used, then only approved friends will be able to see your profile info, posts and pictures.
- Alternatively, you can control who sees what types of information by selecting "Customize settings”.
- You can also select options for different features on Facebook such as on the Wall where only you will be able to view them. The Wall is where comments from all your friends will be posted.
- Click on "Edit Your Settings” which is under Websites and Applications on the lower left-hand corner. Each setting must then be edited according to your desired levels of privacy.
- Click on "Back to Privacy” then click on "Edit your Lists” which is under the Block Lists section. This will block any individual and application from being able to search you or to send you a request on Facebook.
- Once all the changes have been made, click "Save”.