Here are some facts about the PS3 and its usage:
• The PS3 is better for Internet use as it has inbuilt Wi-Fi connection for games.
• The PS3 is said to have better graphics on some games.
• The PS3 is usually preferred by the hardened gamer.
Here are some facts about the Xbox 360 and its usage:
• The Xbox 360 has a wider range of games to suit the whole family.
• The Xbox 360 can be used for features such as Kinect, a whole new device.
• The Xbox 360 is incredibly popular for its online gaming system: Xbox Live.
One thing that may sway you on your purchase of a console is whether or not you are going to use the games online. If you are, you may wish to consider the PS3, given that it comes with inbuilt wireless (the Xbox needs a wireless adapter) and you won't have to pay for Xbox Live which you can pay for yearly.
If you are buying for a family console, also, you may wish to consider the Xbox 360, due to its complete versatility. Those who are really into their gaming can play games such as Gears of War and Call of Duty, then you can play together as a family on games such as Guitar Hero or use the Kinect.