Apple iPods are probably the most popular, yet most affordable, digital audio players in the world. They can be security protected with a password, which is sometimes forgotten by the user.
It is easy to remedy this problem, as long as the user has access to his or her iTunes account on the Mac or PC that they originally synced their iPods. Here is a step-by-step guide to unlocking your iPod.
1. Firstly, open up iTunes on the computer you last synced your iPod to, then plug the iPod in via the USB data cable. Click on the iPod icon that with shows up in the 'Devices' section side window, so you can see the iPod info in the main window.
2. If you have not transferred any purchases on your iPod to your main computer, then please do so first before going any further. Go to the main menu under 'File' choose 'Transfer Purchases from "User iPod". This transfers any items you've purchased via the iPods iTunes Store, back into the original computer, as you can't redeem any lost purchases.
3. In the main window summary tab, under the section called 'Version', you'll see a button called 'Restore'. Click on this button to reset your iPod to its default factory settings. This will overwrite your iPods operating system software and remove any passwords. This may take quite a while, depending on the size of your iPod’s hard drive.
4. Once the iPod has been restored, you can then re-add all your songs, albums and playlists. To do this, go to the music tab and choose what music you'd like. You're now ready to go.
It is a good idea to write down a hint or reminder for your password elsewhere, so you do not forget it again.
Plug the ipod into the computer that your first plugged it into when you bought it and open I tunes. Then the screen will say synchronizing or do not disconnect but when it says disconnect, it will not be locked anymore, it will be unlocked! REMEMBER!!!! IT HAS TO BE PLUGGED INTO THE VERY VERY FIRST COMPUTER YOU PLUGGED IT INTO WHEN YOU BOUGHT IT! IF NOT IT WILL NOT UNLOCK IT!
====== Hold down the power and home keys down for about 10 seconds each while plugged into itunes. When the screen goes black, release the power button but keep holding the home key until itunes says. We have detected an itouch in recovery mode.
From there you can restore as normal via iTunes.
====== a. Connect the iPod Touch b. Press and hold sleep+home until the device reboots. c. Keep holding until that "please connect me to iTunes"-screen appears d. ITunes says something about having detected a touch in recovery mode. Allow it to do its thing.
If you get the -18 error, proceed:
1. Disconnect the iPod Touch 2. Close iTunes 3. Reconnect the iPod Touch 4. ITunes launches and shows message as in step d, but this time, the recovery will work
If you forgot your ipod touch go to the original computer you it was synced on. OR you could hook up your I-pod touch to itunes and click the thing that is under "devices" and make sure it's your device then (make sure your I-pod is synced or saved) click restore that will delete everything except the originally apps...
Go to iTunes and plug up your iPod. Once it's hooked in, got to your iPod's settings and click the restore button. It will set everything back to normal. Your music and everything will be erased, but just sync it again and then your password lock thing will be gone. Good luck :)
I have lots of stuff on there that I don't want off but I have forgotten my password and I havent synced it lately cause I use a wall charger can any1 please help me????? My mum will kill me if I cannot use it anymore so if you no plz help
You need to go to itunes or the apple website and acces your acct or if you connect it to your comp and itunes you may able to unlock it manually from the itunes website/download portion of itunes. It may also give an option to reset the passcode or make a brand new one.
Plug it in then click on my computer after that press tools and then click view then press show hidden items then a folder click say ipod control and you open it afta that you click c a file that says locked delete it then your good to go hope I helped
I set the password, rather stuoidly as something I would never remember, and guess what I have'nt, I need to get back on my ipod, though I have forgotten the passcode and its locked, and when I click restore I need a passwrod for that which I have no idea what is! HELP!
You might have to contact Apple and ask them you will probably have to reset the whole Ipod,I hope you don't but I think that is the only thing to do,but don't do it till you have talked to someone with Apple.-Iamlegend
Unlocking iPod You can unlock iPod in one of two ways:
Enter the combination on iPod using the same controls you used to set the combination. If you do not enter the correct combination, the digits onscreen flash red. When you enter the combination correctly, iPod will unlock and return you to the last viewed screen. Connect iPod to the primary computer you use it with (the first one iPod synced with), and open iTunes. When you disconnect iPod from the computer, it will no longer be locked. If you can't unlock iPod using either of these methods, you can restore your iPod to factory settings. Please note that this will erase all data on your iPod. Afterwards, you can add your music and data back to iPod.
If you want to change the primary computer that your iPod is associated with, do this:
Restore your iPod. Warning: The restore process cannot be undone. All of your songs and files will be deleted. Always make a backup of your important data. Connect your iPod to the computer that you want to be the primary computer. Open iTunes and synchronize.
Hi guy, I got a same problem like you. And I found on the internet some tips to sovled it.
1. Enable hidden folders. In Windows Explorer,go to "Tools", "Folder Options". Then click on the tab called "View", and under "Hidden Files and Folders", click "Show Hidden Files and Folders". 2. Navigate ("My Computer" to double-click on the icon of your attached iPod) to the hidden folder named "iPod_Control", and once there click on the folder "Device". Once there, copy the file named "_volumelocked" to a folder on your hard drive then delete it from the iPod. 3. Eject your iPod. Then, restart your iPod. You can do this by holding down the center and menu button for at least 6 seconds. 4. Once your iPod has rebooted, check and make sure that it worked. Simply go into "Settings", "Volume Limit". If it asks for a PIN, you did it WRONG. Retry the above procedure.
Ok I'm not joking my ipod was locked NOTHING worked I was about to give up after I tried everything but then... I pluged my ipod into the computer I had synced the first time so itunes up as always so then I looked on the left hand side column were it says devices then the owner of the ipod's name is there so I right clicked it and it says "restore and backup" I clicked on that. Then I looked at my ipod it says restore in progress it might take a Little but its worth it you unlock your ipod without losing ANYTHING... Good luck and hope it works for you to...
Oh my god help me ! I typed in a password that I 'thought' I would remeber but I didnt and now I am trying all the restore stuff adn nothing is changing .! HELP ME PLEASE I beg of you ! Do you have any ideas ????? I have tried restoring it and it doesnt work when I slide it, it comes up with the passcode and I have no idea what to type in ! Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx