I beg usually, but trust me, its not worth it! My mum wont even let me have msn so to be honest I don't think I'll be getting facebook for a while. I ask about every 3days but my mum and dad get annoyed and they say "its not the right time at the moment!", "no", "you'll spend too much time on it" or say "you asked me that the other day"! So ask every week not everyday. And don't beg please don't beg it will ruin your chances. I always say id understand if I was under the age but as I'm not then it seems unfair. I see al her points yes, but she never listens to my points. I just hope that they can see 'In the modern world with its focus on game consoles, internet and chat rooms, websites like Facebook, Bebo and Myspace play an important part in many young people's lives.' < a saying.
I think if you promise to help around the house, do your homework, have limited hours or something like that. They might consider your that you are mature.
I think you should tell them about it and show them through all the steps of making an account and tell them that you know about safety and that you wont add random people you don't know.
Well I hope that helped a bit, goodluck!
I'm still trying to persuade my parents too remember!
I hope this helps! Xx
I really want a Facebook too, I don't know why parents make such big deal of it, they say I'm too young but alot of kids in my classroom have one its not fair... If I sneak it ,my older siblings may find out... I hope I get one on my thirteenth birthday.
My parents are the same. I'm 14 now and my mum is sorta leaning towards the idea because she has Facebook and knows how private you can make it. Same with my dad too, he is a little more allowing with these things, unlike my mum, it's seems like she wants to keep me banned from the world forever. I just have a few simple steps that might help! I'm in the process of working up the courage to ask my parents, and I have seen things like this
1. Make sure your parents are in a good mood! If they're mad, it's not gonna help, maybe ask them after you have achieved something great in school! Like an award or good grade on a test, assignment or report!
2. Sit both of your parents down TOGETHER! One surefire way to get shot down is by asking your parents separately. Most parents make decisions together, so proposing the idea to them both at the same time will hopefully provoke thought!
3. Be mature about the situation! If you are mature about it, your chances will skyrocket. Don't play the "everyone else has it" card, and definitely don't beg and annoy! State the reasons why you think you should have Facebook, and talk about the perks, and also maybe give them your account password and "friend" them.
4. Tell them that you understand the dangers! Social media these days is not just used by good people, but also by bad. Assure them that you will only friend people you know well and you won't talk to random people and give out personal information. Also tell them that your privacy settings will be all on max!
5. Hear them out! This is one of the most important points! You need to listen to what they have to say, just like you want them to listen to you. Always listen to their opinions, because sometimes, they might be right! If they say no, ask them why they don't want you to have it, so it makes thing a lot clearer for you. It could be that they think you are immature or just not the right age.
Hope this helped!