It is illegal to use a key code for Windows XP Pro or any other Microsoft product when you have not purchased it.
Don't Use Key Codes From the Web
It is considered to be piracy. Any key codes or product keys that have been illegally published on the web will have been black listed by Microsoft, so it’s not really worth trying.
Recovering Your Key Code From A Genuine Copy of Windows
If you have a genuine copy of Windows, but have just lost the key code, then you can find it using the following steps:
- Insert the Windows disc into your computer
- Open ‘my computer’
- Right-click on the Windows XP CD and select 'explore'.
- Browse for , then open the ‘USWXP32P_ZX’ folder,
- Then open the ‘sysprep’ folder.
- Double click on 'unattend.txt' to open the file - your product key should be in here.
- If this doesn’t work, it may be because the file is hidden, so you will need to search hidden files for 'unattend.txt'.
It is still possible to purchase copies of Windows XP Pro from places
like Amazon. Also, there is a version available that is valid for installation on up to 3
PCs, so it is worth checking if you know someone who has this version,
but who has only installed it once or twice.