Computers are loosely made up of three types of components:
Hardware: The physical parts or components that make up the computer.
Software: The programs that are stored and run by the hardware.
Peripherals: A device that is used to put information into, or get information out of, the computer.
Key pieces of hardware are:
- Hard drive. Used for long term storage of data and programs.
- RAM (random access memory): Used for short term storage of memory whilst the computer is running.
- CPU (central processing unit): The "brain" of the computer. Performs most of the calculations which enable the computer to function.
- CMOS Battery: The "watch" of the computer. Keeps the time and date.
- Motherboard: A printed circuit board that allocates power to all other hardware and allows them to communicate with each other.