We know that humans lived for many hundreds of thousands of years without the same technology we have today. In fact, even now, there are tribes who don't have access to technology and live happily in their own way of life. This does not mean however, that technology isn't important to us. Technology affects almost everything we do and without it we would have to change almost every aspect of our lifestyles. So, where in our lives is technology important? Below are some examples.
- Health - In the past medical advances usually came from the discovery of a new plant or combination of herbs, however nowadays medical advances are usually technological. Such advances have resulted in increased life expectancy.
- Communication & leisure - Whilst leisure and communication may not be the most important aspects but they would definitely be the most immediately missed if technology was taken away. Have you ever witnessed the tantrum involved when a child forgets their PSP or even the devastation when a fully grown, reasonable adult leaves their mobile at home? It seems that we are incapable of living even one day without our favourite gadgets.
- The fridge and freezer to keep our food cool and minimize bacteria
- The flushing toilets to improve the health and sanitation of developed countries
- The microwave which allows us to make a cooked meal in 5 minutes
- The cars, buses, trains and airplanes that allow us to get anywhere in the world
As you can see without technology life would be altered dramatically, and life as we know it would be almost unbearable.