If you want to get your hands on an Ello invite, there are only really two options:
1) Sign up for the Ello beta and wait for an invite to come through to your inbox
You can sign up here: https://ello.co/request-an-invitation
2) Find someone that can invite you.
Here are a few places to look for Ello users that might have codes to give away:
- Reddit (http://www.reddit.com/r/socialmedia/comments/2hc5i5/ello_invites/)
- Twitter (just search #ello)
What's the big deal about Ello?
In the past few days, there's been a WHOLE lot of hype about this new social network. As far as I can see, there are four things that set Ello apart:
- It's a "no ads" network (as opposed to Facebook)
- They claim to be big on user privacy, a hot topic on the internet these days.
- The design of the website looks quite minimalist, and reminds of Svbtle (https://svbtle.com/) a little bit
- Ello is getting a lot of hype and coverage in tech media and beyond...
And if you're wondering what the point of waiting about for an invite is, the secret is pretty simple:
1) Ello likely doesn't have the infrastructure to handle as many users as there are people looking to sign up. It makes sense to keep the flood gates closed until they are out of beta.
2) It's viral marketing genius. Users are encouraged to share codes, share the "Ello Manifesto" and basically entice other people into wanting to sign up.